Sarah Sherwood's blog

Ann Normandy Pant

| No Comments

Ann Normandy Pant

 

I cut a size small.  I made no alterations while sewing.  The black fabric is 100% hemp linen from Hemp Traders and the godets are canvas from Cotton and Steel.  The linen is from my stash, and the canvas was scraps from a pair of pants I made last year.  I intended for these to be a wearable muslin.

 

The pattern was easy enough to put together and cut out.  There are very few pieces.

 

Dress Like Your Grandma 2!

| No Comments

Here's the finished dress.  I changed things up a bit.  I left off the placket for one.  My dress is made out of shirting and chiffon.  The chiffon was a pain.  The pattern was Simplicity 6720 (vintage).  I'm glad I finished though.  Next year, I think I'll do Dress Like Your Grandpa.

 

Here's my failed attempt at a muslin.

 

If you only look at the top of the dress, it's not so bad.  I mean except for the awful attempt on my part at top stitching the collar which should never have been top stitched.

Catch-Up

| No Comments

Since I last posted, I have made: The Red Poppy Bag by Sew Sweetness; Stargazer Toe by Blue Calla; Akita shirt by Seamwork; 2 Kimmy Dress by Seamwork; Charlie Holster Bag by Serial Bag Makers; Cardigan by Swoon; Marigold by Tilly and The Buttons; and Celine Zip Top Tote by Swoon Patterns.

 

I have cut and ready to go: Muslin for Dress Like Your Grandma from vintage Simplicity Pattern 6720, 2 Adeline Shirts by DG Patterns, and McCall's Pajamas 2476.

 

A Tale of Three Yorks

| No Comments

This is my first York.  It is made out of cotton lawn.  I cut a size 0 and followed all of the intructions.  It worked out to be a little tight in the shoulders, and the bust darts look super weird (because I have no bust).  

It's hard to see the bust darts in this photo, so they are probably not a big deal, but when I look down they look really strange.

 

York 2 is also made from cotton lawn.  I cut a size zero, did not put the bust darts in and sewed it with a 3/8" seam allowance.

January Sewing

| No Comments

Just a quick update.  I am prepping some bags for little girls, and I have been busy with machine embroidery.  I finished January's Bag of The Month 2018.  The Podium by Chris W Designs.  It was easy, and it's a great bag.  I should have used foam, but I used fusible fleece.  Next time, I'll use foam.

 

 

 

I also made myself another hoodie from the So Sew Easy free pattern.

 

 

Got myself a new camera!  Super excited.

 

New BINGO Boards

| No Comments

New BINGO boards have been made.  They look impossible :(.  

Quilting BINGO Board.

Bags and Stuff BINGO Board

Clothing BINGO Board

 

I finished the Clover Convertible Bag from January 2017, so I can now begin the Podium.  Clover was simple enough until I got to the traincase and then all sorts of things went wrong :(.  I may make it again without the traincase OR I may make it with the traincase and the right type of zipper.  LOL.

 

 

 

New Year, Again

| No Comments

Last year's New Year's goals didn't work out real great.  I sewed like crazy, but I didn't do what I said I was going to do.  Then I got upset with myself, so this year I am going back to BINGO.  I have not made the new boards yet, but I have an outline.

 

I also decided to use a sewing journal.  I am using it to write in what I have done.  I may also add some goals, but I really want to use it to see how much I actually do.

Belvedere Waistcoats Complete!

| No Comments

I finished up my 2 Belvedere Waistcoats.  I followed the Sew-A-Long for the most part.  I did not wait for the final post though.  I put my buttons on yesterday.  I made one of each version.  Version 1 has welt pockets and side vents.  Version 2 is the easy version.  After completing them, I have to say, they were both very easy.  I am shocked to see that I have made something that does not look like I made it.  :) 

 

Belvedere Waistcoat

| No Comments

I started the Belvedere Waistcoat Sew-a-Long from Thread Theory Designs.  I cut out two waistcoats today.  I will be making version 1 and version 2.  My fabric choices seem pretty challenging, so I hope I can handle how things go.  Here are my fabric choices:

Who else is joining this sew-a-long?

 

I was so stressed about cutting out the Bemberg properly that I couldn't turn any music on.  Sheesh.  That fabric was tough, and I do not feel confident about sewing it at all!

I Learned a Few Things

| No Comments

 

Here is the photo of my completed dress for Dress Like Your Grandma 2017.  I think I like the muslin better, but it does not have a hem yet.

 

I have been working on some big projects so this hem has to wait.  One of the projects I was working on was to make small appreciation gifts for one of the refugee resettlement agencies in town.  I made 75 gifts - baskets, earbud holders, and phone pillows.  They are giving them to employees and interns.  It was fun, and I am glad I could help in such a way.

 

Syndicate content