Six Pack

| No Comments

Pattern Review

The Backyard Caddy by Sallie Tomato Patterns has been on my to-make list for quite awhile.  I downloaded and printed it with no problem.  I used quilting cotton by Dear Stella for the outside and the lining.  I used cork for the contrast from Emmaline Bags.  

 

 

The directions were clear.   The pattern begins with the handle.  Looking back, I think I could have re-enforced the handle more.  My husband immediatly put in LARGE bottles, and I worry about how much weight is being carried. 

 

I did use fusible Peltex, and I would have been better off with non-fusible Peltex.  The dividers (that go between the bottles) went together easily.  I had to trim the Peltex a bit to get it to fit into the dividers.  This is the step where you NEED double sided basting tape.  I suppose you could use some Fabri-tac, but I think the tape is best. 

 

The outer and the lining came together fairly easily.  I did put purse feet on the bottom.  Honestly, I figure we will end up setting this thing down in sprinkler run-off at some point.

 

My biggest struggle with this pattern was the binding.  Obviously the Caddy is a rectagle, and it is full of Peltex.  I could not get it in my machine to make a clean stitch aorund the binding.  I couldn't smash it down like I do with purses and bags.  I tried to sort of fold it and make it more flat, but it didn't really work well.  I can't say that I have much patience with binding as it is, so I'm sure that contributed to the way things went for me.

 

 

I was making this as a gift, and I did not have time to make a huge mistake and start over again, so I didn't add rivets.  I continue to learn how to set rivets correctly.  They make me nervous.  Next time, though, I'll add them because I really think they look cool.

 

Helpful hint:  The fabric that goes on the Center Divider should be a non-directional fabric.  My deer are upside down on one side of the Caddy.

 

 

 

 

If I would have sat down and put in one chunk of time, I suppose this would have gone fairly quickly, but I didn't.  I worked in bits and pieces of time over the span of a few weeks.  Overall, this is a super cool bottle holder.  It went together fairly easily, except the binding, and my husband is already using it.  I will probably make it again.

 

 

 

 

And ... "Six Pack" by Black Flag has been stuck in my head while thinking about this project all morning.

 

 

Comments

Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
CAPTCHA
To help us prevent spam, please prove you're human by typing the words you see here.