Summer of No Pants 2014 - Post #4

| No Comments

This is my new skirt.  I bought this eyelet fabric the other day.  It's 54" wide I believe, and it was very inexpensive, so I purchased a yard and a half.  I have been feeling behind on my sewing and especially my Summer of No Pants creations, so I wanted to make something quick and easy.  I took my fabric and laid it out flat.  I then folded one of the edges with a selvage toward the other selvage 16.5".

The eyelet fabric is lime green and see through.  I knew I didn't want to put in a lining as that would defeat the whole quick and simple part of my plan.  I pinned the sides, then pinned right sides together and sewed.  Now, what I didn't realize at this point was that I really didn't want the outer layer to be sewed to the inner layer.  I did have to go back and detach them.  If I did this again, I would make sure to remember not to attach them this way.  

I did not sew all the way from bottom to top.  I left about 2 inches open at the top, so I would have a place to put the elastic.

Next, I sewed very close to the top edge to secure the top part of my casing.

Then I sewed all the way around about 2 inches down to make the casing.  Next, I inserted the elastic.

It got kinda ugly after this.  To close the casing, I tucked in the fabric on one side of the opening and then sewed everything (elastic included) together.  I do not wear short shirts, and I do not tuck my shirts in, so I am pretty sure this ugliness can be kept to myself.

The selvage is quite nice.  No hem needed.  I haven't worn this one out yet.  I hope it looks good with a t-shirt because I still have not sewed up any tops for myself!  





Post new comment

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.
To help us prevent spam, please prove you're human by typing the words you see here.